Thursday, May 5, 2011

yesterday is gone but not forgotten

Oh my, what a day! So sorry I didn't post last night when I got home, but I was a little busy holding onto the trash can :(

The PET scan wasn't really all that bad. The 2 cups of chalky substance that had to be digested on an empty stomach wasn't the greatest, and the fact that the nurse needed a refresher course putting in IV's. She blew the first vein and barely found the second, all a little aggravating considering I went through surgery to have a port placed just so I could avoid arm sticks. The scan itself only took about 20 minutes, but you have to give the radioactive injection an hour, so all together it took about 2 hours.

Of course the first thing on my mind when I was done... FOOD!! If you know me then you know I love to eat! So off to, you guessed it ~ CHICK FIL A!
Good but quick lunch because I had to be back in Nags Head as soon as possible for my appointment with Dr. A

Appointment at Dr. A's went really well. My blood counts were good, so I was ready for my first treatment. I had my bag of sour lemon drops (thanks Tracey for the advice and the drops!) so the taste of the treatment wouldn't be so bad. It worked, no bitter taste for me! Lots of medicines that go into those drips, and some have to be hand pushed through the line, so the treatment takes a little while. Felt really good when we left Nags Head. It was about Buxton that my stomach started to turn on me. Very faint at first, kind of hard to tell if I was nauseated or just hungry (chicken sandwich at 10:30 and it is now 5)! Tried to eat some yogurt thinking if it was nausea it may help relieve it, and I manged about two or three bites before my chicken sandwich reappeared! Hence the problem with trying to blog last night, was hugging that trash can for about an hour before the anti-nausea meds kicked in and helped with the vomiting. Didn't get much sleep as I was still nauseated but at least I haven't lost any more food.

Was very tired today, and still a bit queasy on and off, but overall I don't feel too bad. Took a two hour nap and have been eating very small amounts every few hours. One down, seven more to go! Won't be long before those numbers will be reversed and this will all be almost over! Woo hoo!! On the two week count down for the next treatment, and a heart test tomorrow, but for the most part next week should be pretty easy.

2 comments:

  1. Angie,
    Remember to drink water, water and more water. Happy Mother's Day. Thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. angie-

    ask if they can up your anti-nauseau meds next time. I remember my oncologist telling me that there was no reason to be nauseous after a treatment. might not feel too hot, but shouldn't be throwing up. one less thing to worry about, right? congrats on the 1st treatment being done. hang in there.

    ReplyDelete