Tuesday, May 3, 2011

flying by the seat of my pants

If you know me, you know I plan everything! I am not a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl. So yesterday at my appointment in Chapel Hill I find out that I need to have a PET scan and a heart test before my first chemo treatment can be done. Outer Banks Hospital is not equipped with this particular machine, but there is a mobile unit that comes around every other week. OK, let me tell you here that it took lots of work and planning on several people's part to make sure that my treatments were scheduled on the week my mom has off. (told you I was a planner!) Therefore, having to change the appointment that I had with Dr. A (my oncologist in Nags Head) for this week to start chemo was not an option! So all of this was to say ~ I will be heading to Norfolk at the awful hour of 4:30am so that my PET scan can be done! Thank you so much to the wonderful ladies at the UNC Navigators office for working so hard to make sure that I was able to get this done and keep things ON SCHEDULE!! The heart test will be scheduled next week. Dr. A said it would be fine and we could still keep chemo for this week.

For the past few weeks my thought process was that I would have an appointment with Dr. A on Wednesday of this week to discuss my treatments and then come back on Thursday to start the first one. Well here goes the fly by the seat of my pants part (ok so making a last minute appointment in Norfolk was kind of fly by the seat of my pants but...) I am getting my first chemo treatment tomorrow!! YES I SAID TOMORROW! Wasn't planning on that. I know, I know what difference does a day make? Not much I guess, and I am ready to get this started. Only because the sooner I start the sooner I finish! So I am learning the lesson a friend of mine that has been through this told me ~ Don't plan anything! Take it all as it comes and handle it. I would say I handled myself pretty good. Maybe I'll just throw my planners (yes I have two) away, and just be the fly by the seat of her pants kind of girl!

I know tomorrow is going to be a long day! Thank You Aunt Sheila for being my sidekick tomorrow! Thank you to everyone who has been praying and thinking about us! We really appreciate it, and ask that you keep it up!!

1 comment: