Friday, August 12, 2011

chemo has come to an end

Wish I could say that my last treatment was a piece of cake and all went better than expected, BUT not really. The doctors office couldn't get the chemo medicine so I had to go over to the hospital for my treatment. Two of the nurses from the doctors office walked me down to the AMU at the hospital and explained the trouble I had with the pre-meds the last time that my treatment was done there, and I reminded the nurse again when she started dispensing them. First three pre-meds went fine but the last one (which was supposed to be the one that couldn't possibly cause any reactions!!) burned me up yet again. So far it doesn't seem to have burned my tongue like it did last time ~ fingers crossed! On a positive note, at least we now know the exact drug that caused the reaction so I can be certain to avoid any future problems. During my treatment I slept quite a bit, which I usually never do. When my treatment was finished my post blood pressure reading was low, which it never is, and I was clammy, weak, and my pupils were constricted. Nurse didn't seem to be worried so I headed home. Symptoms stayed the same for about 30-45 minutes and then I slowly got back to normal. All I can say is... Thank goodness I don't have to do that again!!

Praise report: We have been keeping an eye on my hemoglobin so that when it got too low I could get the red blood cell booster shot. Two weeks ago it was 10.3, one week ago 10.1, so we thought that yesterday it would be low enough to go ahead and get the shot. Now something to remind you, is that I really didn't want this shot! It is quite painful, and even though the benefits far outweigh the side effects I was really praying that my counts would come back up on there own so this shot could be avoided. When my blood work came back yesterday my hemoglobin was 11.2!! Still a little lower than normal but way up from the last few weeks! God does hear and answer our prayers! No RBC booster shot for me!

Speaking of shots I still have to go today and get my WBC (white blood cell) booster shot, but today is the last one!!

There are several reasons why I started this blog but two are most important. 1. To be able to keep everyone updated with my journey, and 2. To give someone who may have to follow in my footsteps something that they could read that may inspire them, inform them, and show them that they are not alone. What I realized is that as forth coming with information as I am, there is one thing that I have talked about but not really shown...
I'm about to show you what only a few select people up to this point have seen...
                                                my bald head!!

I'm actually kind of proud of it! It is a symbol to me that the inside is what matters and that our outward appearance doesn't make us who we are! BALD IS BEAUTIFUL! Thank you Aunt Sheila for taking the pictures for me!!

I have less then three weeks before surgery, and I'm a little nervous. You would think that after having a hysterectomy in 2008, and three surgeries related to the breast cancer already this year, that it would be a walk in the park by now... not so much! Please keep me in your prayers!

8 comments:

  1. You are beautiful inside and out! And you are a beautiful writer! I feel like I hang onto every word. Like a good book or movie. We love you and are praying for you and your beautiful family.

    Sandra Loeffler

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a beautiful beautiful girl. And no amount of hair could make you more so. You have a beautiful spirit. I wish you much good health!!

    Dani Bunting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie,
    You are absolutely beautiful! Your smile is simply contagious and you just radiate strength and tremendous courage!! This blog touched me deeply and I wanted to thank you for sharing your journey and showing us all to never lose hope, no matter what it is you may be fighting. Way to go Angie on your last Chemo treatment! Keep fighting like a girl!
    All my thoughts and prayers,
    ~Cami

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the prettiest bald head I have ever seen!! I love it and YOU!! This one made me cry!!
    Love you girlie :):)
    Jennifer W.............

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following your blog, but normally don't write because I don't know what to say. Your strength amazes me. I see your photos and they are so filled with joy. You are beautiful, and your daughters are blessed to have a mother like you. You are on my mind daily, and I will continue to pray for you.
    God Bless,
    Sarah Misch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your courage, honesty, tenacity, and faith are inspiring! GORGEOUS picture! Prayers continue for you!

    Kristin Gray

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie, you are awesome person! I know you are an overcomer, your smile tell it all! Love you girl! You are so right bald is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

    J. Willis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie - you and your family are always in our thoughts and prayers. Wish there was a magic wand to make it all better but we know you are a strong fighter with a wonderful family and extended island family who will help you through every step! Stay strong and believe! All our best wishes, Marylin and Michael Epping

    ReplyDelete