Monday, October 3, 2011

radiation is about to begin

Granny update: She is still in the ICU at Norfolk General and will probably have to be there for about a week. Please continue to keep her and my family in your prayers. The doctors are waiting on test results. I will update when I know more.

So per my last post you know that radiation treatments are going to be done in Chapel Hill. Let me tell you a little about why...

This was not a decision that I came by lightly... let's face it ~ it's my life we are talking about here! Even though this was an important decision as for as my treatment goes, it was a difficult one. From a medical standpoint ~ my case is a little complicated because the cancer was close to the chest wall and I had positive lymph nodes. The area that needs to be radiated is larger and the major organs are a concern. Knowing all this my doctors in Chapel Hill felt that my case should be treated there. I felt that if my treatments could be done in Nags Head (which is a great facility with really good doctors), without compromising my care why should I have to do them at UNC. What I can tell you is that the final decision was really a personal preference and had nothing to do with either facilities ability to treat me and do it well. You see, our facility in Nags Head is undergoing some changes. The doctor that has been there is retiring, and they are in transition for the new doctor to start. If treatments were done there I would start the first two weeks with one doctor, the next two weeks with yet another doctor, and then finish out with a third doctor. Too many doctors for me! When you are dealing with something that is this important I just wasn't comfortable having my case passed off that many times. All the doctors are very good and if I would have been seeing only one of them my decision may have been different. So the end result was that my treatments will be done in Chapel Hill, and they will last about 6-7 weeks. Radiation treatments are done daily Monday through Friday, and it takes about 10-15 minutes.

Making this decision from a personal point was what made it so hard. In order to have treatments at UNC I would have to live out there during the week for the duration of treatments. Which would mean that I would only see my family on the weekends. What I had to do was put this is perspective ~ really what is two months away from my family if it means that I will have the rest of my life to be with them!

After the decision was made things moved rather quickly. Friday I had a scan done. This is what the doctors use to come up with your plan. Wish I could tell you more about that, but all I really know is that it takes someone with a lengthy education in physics. Not my thing at all! During this visit you get tattooed... actually I got three. This is how the nurses make sure you are lined up in the exact same position for each treatment. Not really the way I wanted to get my first tattoo! Treatments are scheduled to start in exactly one week.

When I made the decision to have treatments at UNC I had complete faith that everything would work out the way it should. Well I haven't been disappointed... we are blessed with a place to stay! After much distress over what to do about the girls, we have decided that Stewart and Karlene will stay here, and Kimber is going with me. No, I'm not sure this is a great idea, but we are going to do our best!! I found a wonderful preschool that is only a mile from the hospital that looks like it is going to work out perfect. I am waiting to hear back from the director, so please pray that it all comes together. The nurses at the hospital told me that they would work with me if I ever needed to bring her with me. (They haven't met her yet!!) I'm still having a hard time having to leave Karlene here, but I know that for her it's best. I am thankful for the Rodanthe/Stumpy Point ferry but I sure hope the road is open soon. That trip every weekend would be much easier (and faster!) if I could drive the entire way!!

Stewart and the girls stayed here while I was out in Chapel Hill this weekend. I got to have a much needed "mom only" time. Haven't been away from all of them ever for that long, and I enjoyed it but was glad to get back to them yesterday. While in Chapel Hill a good friend of mine celebrated her birthday and I got to be a part of her special day... you see it is extra special because she is a breast cancer survivor! She has been such a wonderful friend for me through this journey and I wish her many, many, many more birthdays to celebrate together!! So I had a wonderful weekend alone, I got to spend time with friends, and then I got to come home to the best family ever! Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment