Thursday, October 13, 2011

chapel hill week 1

Radiation treatments are going very good. The visits at the beginning of the week took about 45 minutes but once everything was all set and lined up now the treatments only take about 10 minutes. My treatments are done with me holding my breath... something I'm a little out of practice with! I have done pretty good though, I haven't had to make them stop treatment yet to take a breath. The longest I have to hold my breath is about 45 seconds, which is probably not really that long but it sure feels like a lot longer when your doing it. Every other day I am covered with this thick sticky piece of flexible rubber or bolus. This is mainly due to the fact that I have a mastectomy scar that needs to be able to receive the max amount of radiation, and your skin limits how much you could get if you didn't have the bolus covering it. I have lots of marker drawings all over that the technicians use to make sure that all the beams line up in the same place each day. After the few treatments I've had this week I know that I am in the right place, and that I have the best team of caregivers!!

Kimber is making new friends at preschool, maybe even a new boyfriend!(ssshhh! don't tell her I told you that!) I am so glad that she is fitting in so well. She was a little disappointed the first few days because she couldn't go outside and play on the tire swing. It has rained here all week :(  Today it didn't rain until after I picked her up so they did get to go on the playground for a little while. Our plans to go to the pumpkin patch didn't work out so well though. Maybe one day next week we will be able to do that.

With lots of extra time on our hands we have been out exploring. Sometimes we just ride around to see what we can find. Hoping for a few sunny days next week so we can do some fun outside activities. Thinking we may do the state fair one afternoon, and we would love to visit some of the parks/playgrounds. There are also a few museums that I think would be really fun. After the temper tantrum Kimber had at the mall I'm not sure that I want to show my face back there again. I guess it's a good thing Crabtree Valley isn't all that far from here!

Looking forward to coming home tomorrow!! Not looking forward to the drive but I'm sure glad that I won't have to take the ferry! I have a feeling traveling back and forth is going to wear me out more than the treatments! Can't wait to see family and friends! Why didn't I want to be a pilot??

No comments:

Post a Comment