Friday, April 15, 2011

home again, home again

Anyone that knows Stewart and I are probably aware of the bad karma that follows us everywhere. Well, this trip would be no different. The hospital was supposed to call me on my cell phone between 1-4 on Wed. to let us know what time we needed to be at the hospital Thursday morning. At 4:45 hadn't heard anything, so I was a little worried considering we were already almost to Chapel Hill! After making a few calls we learned they had left a message on our home phone (alot of good that was gonna do us).

After getting that all straight, we were off to have dinner with one of the best couples I have ever met. Tracey ~ Thank you for opening your heart and home to someone you had never met. You are truly an inspiration to me. I am thankful that I can call you my friend, and one day soon ~ my survivor sister!

So it's Thursday morning and we are to report to the hospital at 8:45, which we actually get there at 8:30. Check-in and we sit and wait, and we wait, and we wait. At 10:00, a nurse comes around to check on all the family members waiting for people in surgery and sees me still sitting with my band on my arm. She says "Are you here for surgery?" In which I reply "yeah!" So she asks me my name and tells me we were supposed to be over at radiology at 9:00. Funny that the receptionist who checked us in didn't bother to tell us that, and she then blamed her mistake on the poor new girl! We actually weren't surprised because as mentioned in the beginning we have this bad karma that seems to always be following us. From that point all the pre-op stuff goes pretty good. (well as good as getting stuck with lots of needles can) The surgery itself went well, at least that's what the doctor told Stewart. The waking up from surgery however was a completely different matter! HOLY COW, it hurt! Not that I thought an incision under the arm pit was going to be fun, but I at least thought when you first woke up they would have you all doped up. Kuddos to the nurse that made sure I was quickly given pain meds, and turned and almost overnight stay into a somewhat tolerable ride home. 
So by the time we get home it's pretty late, I think I will just take my meds and go to bed. Well, so much for thinking ~ as I laid down to go to bed I get a really bad pain in the middle of my chest. By the way I didn't mention that they have me wrapped in an ace bandage so tight that I can bearly breathe, and taking a deep breath is almost impossible. Well the only way to relieve the pain is to take deep breaths. Every time I would dose off the pain would come back and I was back to struggling through deep breaths again. Made it through the night even though I got no sleep and almost woke Stewart for a ride to the ER! (as I had convinced myself I was having a heart attack!)  Thankfully the pain eased this morning, and although I have been really sore, I am doing MUCH better! Results from the surgeries should be back late next week and I will keep everyone posted! Thanks for all the prayers, good wishes, and support! God has truly blessed us with the BEST family and friends! Love Ya, Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment