Friday, November 25, 2011

coming home

Well, technically I could already be home. And I'm hoping that everyone has been too busy with their Thanksgiving celebrations to realize how long it has been since my last post! Lack of internet and having a crazy week and a half would be my excuses except as supportive as everyone has been through this journey I feel that NO excuse is too good to go so long without giving an update. So for that I'm sorry!!

Tuesday was the last of my 32 radiation treatments. It still hasn't hit me that I'm actually done. Not only done with radiation treatment but DONE with all treatment! I still have surgery to go, but as far as this cancer thing is concerned I have no more treatments of any kind. Considering my arm pit and scar area look like a piece of meat that has been left on the grill for way too long, I am counting my blessings that it is over. On the scale of best or worse case scenario I would say I am probably in the middle. Some of the stories from other women certainly enlightened me to the fact that it could have been worse. Then there is the one unspoken truth that lingers around the waiting room every day ~ at least we are here to endure treatment. There are still too many women and men who die from this monster called breast cancer.

Tuesday was also Kimber's last day at her "new school". I knew that from the first meeting I had with the schools director that this was the place she was meant to be while we were in Chapel Hill. What I didn't know was the extent of the impact she had on them and they had on her. I don't think she completely understands that her time with them has come to an end, but they have left a mark on our hearts that will always be there. Having lived in one place my entire life (and not just any place ~ paradise), I wasn't sure what to expect from the city, or the people. What we found was strangers that quickly became what is now known as our "Chapel Hill family".

Thanksgiving morning was spent in the kitchen with my little helpers. Each making their own pumpkin pie (hope nobody noticed the egg shells?!?!). Ha Ha! Just kidding! They are both quite the little chefs. Turkey and fixings were served for lunch (or as my husband still tries to convince us ~ dinner), and the afternoon was spent being lazy, napping and watching TV. Leftovers heated up for supper, and then relaxing and watching some football. A perfect day! A peaceful day!

So we are going home, probably tomorrow, and come Monday it will be back to our "normal" routine. Not that normal will probably be even close to what normal used to be, but we are going to try. It is almost a little scary to think that after going from one awful kind of treatment to another, that now there is nothing. Nothing I can do to stay healthy and keep it from coming back. At least the last eight months I felt as though I was doing what needed to be done to get better, but now it seems even more out of my control. In some ways this may be harder for me than what I have endured on my journey to health. That constant nagging in the back of your mind that reminds you that at anytime your world could be turned upside down... AGAIN! I guess you could say this is where my faith will really be tested. I believe God brought me through this, and I believe He brought me through it for a reason. So no matter what my future holds I have to put my trust and faith in HIM! We were never promised that life would be easy, but the way we handle the mountains and valleys is completely up to us. I choose to live life! Live it happy and full, and deal with whatever comes the best I can.

Hope everyone had a wonderful family filled Thanksgiving! Sorry again for the delayed post! Happy weekend, and back to the grind on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment